- Somerset, PA
- Norfolk, VA
- Work with landscape architects and engineers to complete project site plans, including layout, grading, drainage, and other elements necessary to navigate the land development process.
- Perform geometric design for downtown streetscapes; multi-modal complete street transportation projects; and traffic calming, trail, and transit planning projects.
- Develop erosion and sedimentation control plans for site construction projects and coordinate with governing agencies to obtain permits/approvals.
- Design stormwater BMPs including conventional above ground facilities and green technologies such as rain gardens/bioretention, constructed filters, underground storage/infiltration systems, etc.
- Prepare stormwater design calculations and report narratives.
- Coordinate with local governing agencies to obtain stormwater system permits, including NPDES permitting.
- Review local land development and zoning ordinances and ensure that project design meets those parameters.
- Design parking lot configurations as well as other vehicular access features like driveway aprons and drive-up lanes for retail establishments.
- Develop quantity and cost estimates for site/civil projects for the purposes of obtaining funding, budgeting, and informing design decisions.
- Make recommendations for structural site elements such as retaining walls, building foundations, etc.
- Perform structural design of site elements like retaining walls and sign/amenity foundations as needed.
- Read and interpret site geotechnical reports to determine potential implications for stormwater management and foundation/earth retaining structures on site.
- Effectively manage design projects including work completed by junior design staff.
- Prepare construction bid documents and specification packages.
- Visit project sites to obtain field measurements and photo documentation.
- Ability to work in a predominantly virtual environment with satellite offices.
- Manage multiple simultaneous projects.
- Ability to prepare and make presentations in a public setting, both live and virtually.
- Help to prepare project proposals to obtain new work.
- Communicate with clients to achieve project goals and expectations.
- A professional engineering (PE) license in the states of Pennsylvania and Virginia is required or reciprocity in those states must be obtained within one year of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering Technology, or equivalent.
- Minimum of eight years of experience.
- Competent in writing, public presentation, and verbal communication.
- Knowledge of Sustainable Design practices.
- Proven knowledge of general site civil and architectural practice including programming, site planning, civil, structural, and general utility engineering.
- The ability to build quick rapport with all levels of employees, clients, consultants, and vendors.
- Proven ability in problem identification, problem solving, and conflict resolution.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D (including Hydraflow extensions), and MS Office.
- Proficiency in Masterspec, RS Means, and Microsoft Project.
Value Added Skills:
- Construction background or construction inspection experience
- Experience with H&H studies and regional stormwater modeling methods
- SketchUp Pro, Autodesk Revit, and/or Adobe Creative Suite
- Licensed drone pilot or experience operating terrestrial laser scanner
- Project Management & Scheduling
- LEED Credentials
- Ability to perform structural design (retaining structures, lintels, wooden canopies, light pole foundations, etc.)
- Knowledge of architectural design or building construction.
- Background in site development and environmental mitigation of brownfields.
- Sitting for extended length of time
- Fluency in public speaking in the English Language
- Fieldwork/ability to travel
- Valid driver’s license
- Typing and handwriting
- Hand drawing
- Occasional lifting of boxes up to 50lbs
Must have a valid driver’s license and an insurable driving record.
Please indicate the position (Site Civil Project Engineer – Level II) and the office location (Somerset, PA or Norfolk, VA) below. Phone inquiries are not accepted.